Tuesday 9 July 2013

Writing around your job vs Writing as your job

This is how I began my day today. No hands (not really).

I am on holiday from work and am in a state of bliss.

Because I have TIME.

Sweet, elusive TIME.

I love teaching but I want to write as my career. I want it bad.

This is why.

Day in my life normally
  • Get up - run downstairs write notes on novel ideas I dreamt last night.
  • Provide breakfast (or sit daydreaming and trying to wake-up while Super Husband (SH) provides it, as it's still hellishly early and I was up hellishly late writing)
  • Get ready, get two small ones ready.
  • Survive school run gauntlet.
  • Drive to work - here all good ideas come. Characters actually speak to me, plot holes are mended, new ideas only arrive when I'm doing something else - ideally moving.
  • E-mail myself in the car park with ideas from the drive.
  • Teach for the day. Full on. I love it but it is FULL ON.
  • Drive home. More ideas in notebook. Write them up whilst cooking (see blog post on Burnt Peas).
  • Eat with family. Sometimes fully there - sometimes in a fictional world.
  • Communicate with loved ones then bath and Bed for small people. When I was first drafting, Super did this nearly every night so I could tap tappity tap My Precious.
  • Teaching work/House chores. As quickly as possible. Desperate to start tapping now.
  • WRITE. 4/5 hours usually. No TV, ignore phone and friends in quest for my dream. Sometimes exercise on indoor bike so I can catch up with latest YA fiction and not become hugely fat.
  • Bed. Reading time. Then 6 hoursish sleep.
  • REPEAT for 8 months. In school holidays write in mornings for 3 hours as well.
Day in my life if I become professional (ie today as I am on holiday now)
  • Get up to school run the same except not as tired.
  • An hour out on my bike (see photo). Exercise and ideas time all in one. Thought up this blog post today.
  • WRITE 4/5 whole hours of uninterrupted writing time. By myself in the house. Take some breaks to play guitar, put washing on line. Get loads done as my mind is sparkling fresh.
  • School run, take offspring to the beach and play with them thereby becoming Proper Mummy rather than strange hunched Gollum creature.
  • Cook edible un-burnt food.
  • Cuddle and speak to Super H and help with bath and bed. Mummy and Wife roles fully operational.
  • WRITE. 2/3 hours is enough. Or see long-suffering friends. Or - shock horror - watch TV for an hour with a glass of wine.
So.
That is why I want to do this professionally. I love it. I'm obsessed. But I want to be a mum and wife and friend too. Not a Gollum hunkering over my precious - well OK, but only when I'm first drafting.


Me at 3.20 today
 





No comments:

Post a Comment